Frequently Asked Questions

Marathon Hall FAQ's

How do I apply?

If you want to live in Marathon Hall, we advise you to apply early using our online application! Marathon Hall fills up fast. Assignments are made on a first-come first-served basis, so it is to your advantage to send in your housing contract, deposit, and all necessary paperwork as soon as possible. If you apply late you may be placed on a waiting list.

When can I move-in?

  • NTC Move-In is Sunday, August 26,2018 (10AM- 4PM)
  • New UWMC Students Move-In is Thursday, August 30, 2018 (10AM- 4PM)
  • UWMC Returners Move-In is Monday, September 3, 2018 (10AM- 4PM)

** No early check-in available

When are the academic break periods?

To view all academic events, please view the academic calendar on our website:

When is the cafeteria available?

Dining Services are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday through Friday. Brunch and dinner are served on weekends. For hours and further information, visit the Dining Services page. 

What is a CA? 

CAs, or Community Advisors, are residents who work to develop the Marathon Hall community, help residents transition to college at UWMC, create social and academic programs, and promote safety and security in the residence hall.

Who is a Residence Hall Manager?

The Residence Hall Manager is a graduate student who advises hall staff and addresses conduct issues. This person lives on site.

How easy is it to move in?

Moving in is easy! When you arrive on move-in day come in Marathon Hall and go to the front desk. A worker will introduce you to your CA and she/he will take you to your room. Still nervous? Here are a few tips for Move-in day;

  • Get to know your roommate before move in. Once you have their contact information, contact them!
  • Know when your roommate is arriving
  • Preplan a room layout with your roommate
  • If you have questions when you arrive, ask staff person. We are here to help! 

How do I check out?

Checking out of your room is a very easy process. The first step is to make an appointment with your CA for a check-out time. Before your check-out time, you must have all of your belongings out of the building, and place all of the furniture in the same way it was setup when you first moved in. After your room is clean, empty, and in the right setup, your CA will check you out. You will need to return your door key and mail key.

When do I receive my room assignment?

Room assignments are generally mailed in the middle of July. You will receive your roommate's name, email address, and telephone number. We recommend contacting your roommate, so that you may decide what items you will bring to campus.

Can I have a single?

There are four designated single rooms in Marathon Hall; these are reserved for students needing special accommodations. If not all of the rooms are being occupied, single rooms can be requested by other students at an additional cost. Often single rooms are awarded based on a lottery system. 

What if my roommate moves out?

If your roommate moves out you do not need to panic. You will have the option to consolidate with a new roommate, or (space permitting) you can purchase your room as a single. Singles are $500 extra per semester. You will never be forced to pay for a single room, but may be required to move in with another student.

Who do I see if I have a roommate issue?

If you and your roommate are having issues the first step is to talk to each other. If the issue or conflict cannot be solved alone you can set up a meeting with your CA. Marathon Hall staff is committed to conflict mediation and will work to keep roommate pairs together. Often space does not allow for roommate switches.

Can I move out mid-year?

Residents can move out mid-year under specific circumstances. Students still enrolled in UWMC/NTC classes who wish to move out mid-year need to talk with residence hall staff as there will be additional contract breakage charges. All students who leave mid-year forfeit their $150 deposit. Students who withdraw, transfer or graduate will be able to move out without additional charges. Just moving without consulting staff will result in additional charges.

What comes in each room?

Each residence hall room comes with two of these items: wall closets, dressers, garbage cans, desks, desk chairs and extra-long twin beds. Most desks are equipped with a lamp. You are welcome to bring more furniture. Rooms are also equipped with Spectrum (formerly Charter) Internet hook up.

What size are the beds in the residence hall?

Extra-long twin sheets fit the beds in the residence hall.

Can I bring a car?

There are no restrictions on bringing a car to campus. Anyone bringing a car must get a parking permit from the front desk and park in the lots designated for Marathon Hall students. The cost for a parking permit is $55/year. Overflow parking may require some residents to park in Marathon Park.

How and where will I do my laundry?

Two laundry rooms are located in the basement of Marathon Hall. Each is equipped with two washers and two dryers. The machines are coin-operated and cost $1.50 per load.