Often our International Dinner guests request a copy of a recipe from a dinner. We will try to provide those on this site.
CITRUS-BASIL VINAIGRETTE DRIESSING
1/4 CUP OLIVE OIL
2 TABLESPOONS ORANGE JUICE
1 TABLESPOON LEMON JUICE
1/4 LEMON ZEST
1/2 TEASPOON SALT
1 TABLESPOON HONEY
1/8 CUP CHOPPED FRESH BASIL
1 TEASPOON WHITE WINE VINEGAR
IN A JAR WITH A LID ON IT, MIX THE OLIVE OIL, ORANGE JUICE, LEMON, LEMON ZEST, SALT HONEY BASIL AND VINEGAR. SEAL AND SHAKE WELL, CHILL 2 HOURS IN THE REFRIGERATOR. YOU CAN STRAIN IT BEFORE USING, YOUR CHOICE.
ENGLISH STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING
1 CUP PLUS 1 TABLESPOON ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
3/4 CUPS PITTED DATES
1 AND 1/4 CUPS (One and one quarter cups) BOILING WATER
1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1/4 CUP UNSALTED BUTTER SOFTENED
3/4 CUPS SUGAR
1 LARGE EGG SLIGHTEN BEATEN
1 TEASPOON VANILLA
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES. BUTTER A 10-INCH ROUND OR SQUARE BAKING DISH. SIFT THE FLOUR AND BAKING POWDER ONTO A SHEET OF WAXED PAPER. (CLEAN THE DATES FIRST) PLACE IN A SMALL BOWL AND ADD THE BOILING WATER AND BAKING SODA
SET ASIDE. IN A BOWL OF AN ELECTRIC MIXER BEAT THE BUTTER AND SUGAR UNTIL LIGHT AND FLUFFY. ADD THE EGG AND VANILLA; BEAT UNTIL BLENDED. GRADUALLY BEAT IN THE FLOUR MIXTURE. ADD THE DATE MIXTURE TO THE BATTER AND FOLD UNTIL BLENDED WITH A RUBBER SPATULA. POUR INTO THE PREPARED BAKING PAN.
BAKE UNTIL THE PUDDING IS SET AND FIRM ON TOP, ABOUT 35 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM OVEN TO A WIRE RACK.
1/2 CUP UNSALTED BUTTER 1 CUP PACKED LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
1/2 CUP HEAVY CREAM
COMBINE THE BUTTER , HEAVY CREAM AND BROWN SUGAR
INTO A SMALL HEAVY SAUCEPAN HEAT TO BOILING STIRRING CONSTANTLY. BOIL GENTLY OVER MEDIUM LOW HEAT UNTIL MIXTURE IS THICKENED, ABOUT 8 MINUTES. PREHEAT BROILER, SPOON ABOUT 1/3 CUP OF THE SAUCE OVER THE PUDDING. SPREAD EVENLY ON TOP. PLACE PUDDING UNDER THE BROILER UNTIL THE TOPPING IS BUBBLY, ABOUT 1 MINUTE. SERVE IMMEDIATELY SPOONED INTO DESSERT BOWLS. DRIZZLE WITH T0FFEE SAUCE AND TOP WITH A SPOONFUL OF WHIPPED CREAM.
1 CUP HEAVY CREAM (WHIPPED)
Mozambique International Dinner
This recipe for shrimp is made with lots of garlic, butter, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley or basil, and seasoning.
- 1/3 cups butter
- 1 ½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt to taste
In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat until butter stops foaming, about 30 to 45 seconds. Add the shrimp and garlic sauté over medium heat, turning frequently until the shrimp just turn pink, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the parsley, lemon juice, and salt; stir well. Remove the pan from the heat and serve immediately. Serves 4
- 1-3/4 cups roasted peanuts 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice 1 Tablespoon peanut oil
- 1(14-oucnce coconut milk about 2 cups
- Teaspoon curry ¼ cup soy sauce
Place the peanuts in food processor and pulse unlit crushed. Be careful not to puree them
Place the peanut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add curry and whisk for 30 seconds. Whisk in the sugar and coconut milk and cook over medium-low heat, whisking, until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes. Do not boil. Add the crushed peanuts.
Add soy sauce and lime juice. Taste and add more sugar, soy or lime if necessary. Keep the sauce warm until you're ready for it. If you refrigerate it (it keeps for a couple of days), reheat gently before serving.
Serve warm with rice crackers or raw vegetables or white rice.
I added a little more soy and lime. Makes 3 cups.
Mealie (Sweet Corn) Bread
South Africa & Security: April 16, 2004
- 2/3 cup cornmeal 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 4 tsp. baking powder
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
Lightly grease a 9-inch square pan
Mix the cornmeal and milk in a small bowl so the cornmeal can soak while preparing the rest of the ingredients. In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and sugar. Mix the egg and oil together well and stir into the cornmeal. Add the cornmeal to the flour and stir to moisten. Add the frozen corn. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the pan. Makes 16 squares.
Stuffed Cabbage or Vine Leaves
This recipe is a very traditional Moldovan recipe.
Original recipe yield: 5 servings.
- 3 1/4 cups long grain rice, rinsed
- 2 pounds pork loin roast, finely diced
- 1 pound carrots, chopped
- 1 pound onions, chopped
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed oil
- 6 ounces parsley roots, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage
- Place rice in a medium bowl, and pour boiling water over it. Let soak for 15 minutes, then drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, parsley roots, onions and tomato paste. Cook and stir until the vegetables are tender. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the rice.
- Heat 2 more tablespoons of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork, and cook for about 2 minutes, just until browned on the outside. Transfer to the bowl with the rice and vegetables; season with dill and black pepper. Stir until everything is well blended. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Carefully remove the leaves from the head of cabbage, and place them in a large pot with about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender and flexible.
- Remove the cabbage leaves from the pot, but leave enough in the bottom to cover. On each of the remaining leaves, place about 2 tablespoons of the pork and rice mixture in the center, and wrap the leaf around to cover. Place the stuffed cabbage leaves into the pot.
- When the pot is full, place a few boiled cabbage leaves over the top. Pour boiling water into the pot to cover the cabbage rolls, and place over medium-low heat. Cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the rice is tender.
Fried Eggplant Salad
It may be eaten plain or spread on slice of black bread.
- 3 eggplants or about 2 1/2 pounds in total
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely minced
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of one lemon if desire
Place the eggplants in an ovenproof dish and bake preheated at 450 F. until tender, about 30 minutes, turning one time after 15min on the other side. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, sauté the onions in olive oil until they are soft but not brown. Add chopped green pepper and garlic: cook until the green pepper begins to soften, 10-15 minutes.
Peel the baked eggplants and chop the pulp finely. Add to the frying pan along with chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 15 min.