College of the Emeriti
If you are over fifty, you are invited to become a member in UWMC’s College of the Emeriti learning society. The College was established in 1987, and is an economical plan with several benefits to meet the educational needs of adults age 50 and over.
We are proud to pledge the University’s resources to this program which supports the concept of learning as a lifelong pursuit. As a member you have the opportunity to enhance your personal growth through creative use of your time in a stimulating, intellectual and friendly campus atmosphere.
- Free participation in the annual "Good Ideas: A University Experience for Adults,"a three day enrichment program in early January. It offers a taste of campus life with an array of workshops and lectures.
- Free admission to one continuing education class per year (certain courses are excluded) and reduced rates on other courses.
- Free admission to the "Soapbox Series", faculty lectures held monthly throughout the school year.
- Reduced admission to all UWMC Lecture and Fine Arts events.
- Free use of the UWMC pool and library during scheduled hours and
access to the cafeteria.
- Use of the fitness center for a small user fee and if prerequisites are met.
Annual membership fee: $59.00
Learning in Retirement (LIR)
Learning in Retirement (LIR) at UWMC is a new membership organization of retired adult learners providing an opportunity to share learning experiences and discover new joys. It is sponsored by UWMC Continuing Education, but governed by an all-volunteer steering committee.
A LIR membership includes two sessions, Fall and Winter/Early Summer. The membership year will run from July 1 to June 30.
Membership Fee: $25
Programming for this fall includes two day-time series. Registration is required, but there are no additional fees. Programming will expand as members suggest programs. All instructors are volunteers.
Steve Smith Memorial Lectures
China's Regimne Change: From Hu Jintao to Xi Jinping, with Harlan Grinde
February 13: Domestic Policies and Developments
February 20: Foreign Policy of an Emerging Power
Book Discussion on the Shared Reading: The Geography of Bliss
Thursday, February 27: 2:30-4pm
Join Kathy Serley and others to discuss this year’s UWMC Shared Reading.
TED Talks and Coffee
Discover the world of TED Talks and share the experience with others.
Thursdays: 2:30-4pm, unless noted otherwise
- March 6: The Way We Think of Charity is Dead Wrong
- March 13: For More Wonder, Rewild the World
- March 20: Spring Break – no classes
- March 27: Build a School in the Cloud
- April 3: The World Needs All Kinds of Minds
- April 10: The Surprising Math of Cities and Corporations
- April 17: Can We Make Things That Can Make Themselves? and Architecture That Repairs Itself
- April 24: No Class
- May 1: The Pursuit of Ignorance
- May 8: The Interspecies Internet
Join us in this adventure in lifelong learning by calling the UWMC Continuing Education Office (715) 261- 6294.