English and Math
Placement tests in English and Math last 90 minutes each and are required for all students. There is also a 45-minute writing sample required for UW-Marathon County students.
If you have previously completed an AP test, CAPP course, or have transfer credit for a Math/English course, the placement tests may not be necessary. Further questions can be directed to Student Affairs at (715) 261-6235.
If a student plans to enroll in a World Language course above first-semester level, a test must be taken for that language. We offer tests in Spanish, French and German; each foreign language test lasts 60 minutes. Students who began language study in high school and wish to continue studying the same language in college are advised to take the placement test to determine which UW Colleges language class would be most appropriate. Depending on the placement, the student may be eligible to earn retroactive college credits. Many baccalaureate campuses require world language for either admission or graduation.
- Arrive early. Tests will begin on time; late students will not be admitted.
- What to bring:
- A valid, government issued photo ID;
- At least two No. 2 sharpened pencils;
- A non-graphing calculator to use for the Math test, if you wish to use one; cell phone calculators are not allowed.
When arriving at the UW-Marathon County campus, use the main entrance located on South 7th Avenue. Signs will be posted inside the building for the check-in site and testing rooms.
- Weekday Morning Test Timeline:
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.: Check-in
- 9:00 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.: Instructions and Math
- 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.: English
- 12:30 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.: Writing Sample
- 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.: Foreign Language
- Weekday Evening Test Timeline:
- 3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.: Check-in
- 4:00 p.m. - 5:45 p.m.: Instructions and Math
- 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.: English
- 7:30 p.m. - 8:15 p.m.: Writing Sample
- 8:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.: Foreign Language
- Saturday Morning Test Timeline:
- 7:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m.: Check-in
- 8:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.: Instructions and Math
- 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.: English
- 11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.: Foreign Language
- 12:45 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.: Writing Sample for UWMC Students Only
Registering for Placement Testing
Once admitted, you will receive an email that will provide you with information about registering for the placement test. Please check your UWMC email account regularly as this is the only way you can register for the placement test.
If you are a continuing student who needs to register for a placement test, please follow the directions above to register for a test and send an email to email@example.com from your UWC email account. If the test is a retake, you will need to pay the $30 fee.
If a student previously completed an English or Math class at another college or university, the placement test(s) may not be necessary. Any questions about this should be directed to Student Affairs at (715) 261-6235.
If you are in need of accessibility services and wish to have accommodations made for your placement test, please contact:
Amber Ruff-Brei, Accessibility Services Coordinator