English and Math
Placement tests in English and Math last 90 minutes each and are required for all students. There is also a 45-minute writing sample required for UW-Marathon County students.
If you have previously completed an AP test, CAPP course, or have transfer credit for a Math/English course, the placement tests may not be necessary. Further questions can be directed to Jennifer Strohm at 715-261-6241.
If a student plans to enroll in a World Language course above first-semester level, a test must be taken for that language. We offer tests in Spanish, French and German; each foreign language test lasts 60 minutes. Students who began language study in high school and wish to continue studying the same language in college are advised to take the placement test to determine which UW Colleges language class would be most appropriate. Depending on the placement, the student may be eligible to earn retroactive college credits. Many baccalaureate campuses require world language for either admission or graduation.
- Arrive early. Tests will begin on time; late students will not be admitted.
- What to bring:
- A valid, government issued photo ID;
- At least two No. 2 sharpened pencils;
- A non-graphing calculator to use for the Math test, if you wish to use one; cell phone calculators are not allowed.
When arriving at the UW-Marathon County campus, use the main entrance located on South 7th Avenue. Signs will be posted inside the building for the check-in site and testing rooms.
Instructions to Register for Placement Testing
- Go to https://uwc.askadmissions.net/Portal/EI/Search
- Change Starts On to "Next 6 months"
- Change Location to "UW-Marathon County"
- Change Category to "Placement Test"
- Change Status to "All"
- Select the date that works best for you and click on “Register”
- Follow the steps to create a username/password -- be sure to write this down! This is a username and password you will use strictly for registering for Placement Tests.
IMPORTANT! Test results must be in prior to enrollment for classes. Therefore, schedule tests at least two weeks before your enrollment date. You will not be allowed to register for Math and/or English classes without taking the placement tests.
If you are a continuing student who needs to register for a placement test, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from your UWC email account. A placement testing link will be sent to you via campus email.
If a student previously complted an English or Math class at another college or university, the placement test(s) may not be necessary. Any questions about this should be directed to Jennifer Strohm at 715-261-6241.
If you are in need of accessibility services and wish to have accommodations made for your placement test, please contact:
Amber Ruff-Brei, Accessibility Services Coordinator